Wednesday, February 23, 2011

art lesson by gardega: how to scale up a drawing

One of the biggest issues I deal with in art is transferring a drawing to larger scale. Be it a small sketch I have made of a saint to a ten foot window or in this case a transfer of an old french drawing into a mural for my client. There isnt a problem or an issue I havent dealt with in my many years in the art trenches. I can make a perfect oval or ellipse with two nails and a shoestring and dont think I havent done that many times. Today I am going to show you how to scale up a drawing using a grid system. This is as old as art itself, well maybe not caveman old..but damn old. The two pictures here show the drawing my client picked that I have gridded out. The grid is one inch boxes and I may break it down to half inch boxes. Half inch boxes just help keep it accurate. The wall is 5 foot high so in this case, one foot equals two inches. I will grid the wall out and photograph. Another issues is that the wall is not a square wall, it is a trapazoid. This isnt a major issue, it is a minor issue. I will simply adjust the drawing. I f you use a projector, which I own you dont deal with grids. I own a projector but I dont mind a grid approach. It isnt much of a time difference. It keeps you on toes, so to speak. I am going to document my whole process from sketch to final paint. Not easy on a gphone. Follow today for process.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor