Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Here is an oil sketch of bethesda fountain in central park. I am adding a few more elements and working out some issues.
8 x 10 masonite
click link to purchase: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290232837928
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
2) all great art lives in the past
3) Art deco, art nouveau (they matter)
4) abstraction is symbolic of a society who seeks beauty without effort.
5) The greatest rebel today is a classicist
6) There is more beauty in a single NC Wyeth painting than in the entire collection of the MOMA
7) art is empty and meaningless and it is empty and meaningless that it is empty and meaningless.
8) craft is a five letter word (not a four letter word)
9) Irony has had her day.
10) art should transcend class and education, it should be accessible to a plumber. Elitism is the enemy of true art.
11) looking backwards is looking forward.
12) art is like a river, when art is sick the people are sick.
13) without philosophy and the geometry of spirit ,there can be no art.
14) Don't be afraid to be hated.
15) Greatness in art and life requires unnatural courage and the loss of the affections of the mediocre.
16) It is far better to be known than unknown.
17) Courage is knowing what not to fear.
18) Artist, sell thyself!!!
In an interview with The Paris Review in 1956, Faulkner remarked, "Let the writer take up surgery or bricklaying if he is interested in technique. There is no mechanical way to get the writing done, no shortcut. The young writer would be a fool to follow a theory. Teach yourself by your own mistakes; people learn only by error. The good artist believes that nobody is good enough to give him advice. He has supreme vanity. No matter how much he admires the old writer, he wants to beat him". Another esteemed Southern writer, Flannery O'Connor, stated that, "The presence alone of Faulkner in our midst makes a great difference in what the writer can and cannot permit himself to do. Nobody wants his mule and wagon stalled on the same track the Dixie Limited is roaring down."
Here is my painting that I am about 1/3 the way through on. It has promise, the trick is not to lose the reins and fall into the mud. I photographed on a bit of an angle by accident...the background will be bricks when finished. I bought this cow skull off of ebay many years ago. I always hang her over my art table because her horns are good to hang my clip-on lights to.
24 x 24
Monday, May 19, 2008
|Day||Color of the day||Planet||God of the day|
In Thai tradition, there is an astrological rule (which has influence from Hindu mythology) that assigns color for each day of the week. The color is assigned based on the color of the God who protecting the day or Navagraha. For example, the God of Sunday is Surya which has red color. These colors of the day are the traditional Thai birthday colors. For example, King Bhumipol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow color.
I just picked up one of my last remaining Ophelia glass pieces and I think I will put her up for sale today on Ebay---I am photographing her now. I do believe my Ophelia glass piece to be one of my best pieces in the glass medium. I think I have made about five versions of her, each with a different necklace or expression. This one is pre-framed and lit internally.
Email to purchase this piece. firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Saturday, May 17, 2008
I started this piece today. She is "the eyes of texas" There is a fine line to straddle between kitsch and genius. It is all about nailing the right energy to the wall of reality. I like images that can be misconstrued or have a lot of weight and pre-conceived baggage. Painting such images is like starting a race with your shoes untied.
Methinks bread should have the glow of life, an aura of hope.
oil on canvas 16 x 20
Friday, May 16, 2008
one year---1,625 entries.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
Sunday, May 11, 2008
I was never a huge fan of collage as I thought it a place for people who cannot draw but liked to use scissors and glue. As time went on...
The press called me to come there while they photographed my mural this morn so I went to see them and saw that someone had a little fun ...
Back from florida I almost died from heatstroke painting a 400 sq foot wall. Lost ten pounds to sweat. Now they want me back. Christ Im lone...
dont buy e books. buy old yellar dog eared copies of old books from used books stores. support them ot they will go the way of the dodo drop...