Thursday, May 31, 2007

crucifixion of genius


I made this painting at 17 or so as I was studying the old masters. I think this may be after caravaggio, not 100% sure. I even tried a period of abstract, non-representational art until I realized that was a con game. The artists I knew who couldn't draw all became abstract by "default." Jackson pollack was a failed student of the great regionalist painter thomas benton at the art students league. Mr. pollacks sketchbooks were very weak from this period and lacked any refined sense of draftsmanship. The funny thing about J.P was that he was shown how to do his drip paintings by the surrealist max ernst, very few scholars know that--- I have a video in which max ernst tells the tale.

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting factoid. What is the name of that film? Thanks. Greg

    ReplyDelete

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor