Friday, September 14, 2007

right brain/ left brain

It seems that the art brain and the math brain are about as close as Israel and Palestine. Most artists are very right brain. Right brain is the more intuitive, holistic, imaginative side. the left brain is the math side, the CPA side, the inner accountant side. I can barely add seven and nine, especially If I have mittens on. (My math is always better in the warmer weather.) the right side of the brain does some math-- it contains the math side that concerns SHAPES and MOTIONS. I can figure out Da Vinci's geometry and write backwards faster than forwards but I cant make change of a twenty. Dali couldn't even take a cab himself but he foresaw that DNA (when discovered) would be in a spiral! The ancients broke down the brain (the spheres) into the form of the god's Apollo and Dionysus. The gods of reason and love (respectively.) I always loved the idea of finding a perfect balance of left and right except my left brain is probably the size of a de-flated balloon. I think my right brain wouldn't want anything to do with it's sketchy withered neighbor who lives in a shabby unpainted home and doesn't mow his lawn. Da Vinci was a rare artist who balanced the Appolonian and Dionysian natures and rose to the top of the humanity pyramid. Alex walks with his head leaning to one side due to the imbalance and hopes the shopkeepers don't cheat him when they make change.



I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally.
Calvin Trillin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor