Friday, September 28, 2007

the sacred crab


I have always believed that horseshoe crabs are a sacred animal. The american indians held the belief of power animals, animals that held magic/ sacred properties such as buffalo and eagles etc.. The medicine men believed in finding your own sacred animal that would guide you through the world. I am pretty confident my "animal" is the sacred horseshoe crab. The horseshoe crab is already used in saving human lives through its blue blood. A close artist friend brought me over a gift of five crabs she found on the beach. I decided to lay them out as they are on my other website...

1 comment:

  1. Horseshoe crabs ARE very special, I agree. I have been fascinated with them for quite a few years and have collected their shells when we go to the shore in Cape Cod. You might like the Dupont Nature Center site or a visit there if you are near Delaware at an time. The have wonderful exhibits explaining the Horseshoe crabs'history, benefits to mankind, etc. You would also enjoy the book Crab Wars.

    ReplyDelete

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor