Friday, November 9, 2007

Copying

My favorite angry stalker "annie nomous" asked why I do so much copying of other artists as opposed to originals!! I love good questions! Alex will now answer...


As a child I wanted to be Rembrandt and was not, as a teen I wanted to be Dali and failed miserably, as an adult I wanted to be Gardega and became such.

It is a most important and time-honored practice to copy other artists. Every great genius has set up base camp on the mountain of another artist. The guide ropes are true and the Sherpas willing to help carry the heavy burden of great potential. Eventually you will be left on your own to grope blindly towards the peak. I spent thousands of hours and drew thousands of copies of other artist through my childhood and teens and adulthood--- the knowledge gained was invaluable. Eventually the great stew that you have made from you your studies becomes something unique and palatable. Now matter how much you wished you were Da Vinci one can only become oneself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor