Friday, March 14, 2008

Carl Jung and the dream of the apocalypse


I have been a huge fan of Carl Jung since I was a teenager. I have had a life with a high level of odd and psychic incidences that were often beyond rational explanation. When I found Carl Jung it was like finding a map of a forest that I never fully understood because there were too many trees. I once had a dream that it was the end of the world. I am not very religious but in my dream I sought refuge from the great battle of good vs. evil in an old church. I was there with my old restaurant manager, Albino, who was Italian (symbolically catholic). In the church was a huge floating surreal sculpture of Christ that was made from bones. It was not long before the sculpture began to shake and crumble as it could not stand the great forces of evil and even the church began to shake and fall apart. As the bones of the great sculpture fell to the floor I went into another room and there was a dirt floor with a huge hole in it, I threw the bones into the hole as some kind of sacrificial burial. There was an overwhelming feeling of sadness and doom that the world was actually ending. It seems that evil was actually winning the battle vs. good. As I escaped outside the crumbling and falling church roof I saw horrible landscapes of demons and humans charging over the hills. (It was not unlike a Bosch painting.) The point of this story was that recently I opened the NY times and I saw the dirt floored-church of my nightmare many years ago. I can remember being haunted by the dream for weeks and feeling very different in my day to day life. This entry would make more sense to anyone who has studied Carl Jung but I think it is interesting to that end. I never tried to draw or paint the dream but I may one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor