Sunday, April 27, 2008

Courbet!

I walked in the rain this morning to The Met to see The Courbet exhibit (again.) There were fuzzy tourists already on line so I was not the first in but I was the first into the exhibit. The guards like to tell me you are the first one today---I guess they get bored standing around. Today was more powerful for me than my first visit. Courbet was a force of nature. His ocean paintings really got a hold on me. It struck me that one of the ocean paintings was Cezannes favorite and that I was staring at paintings that many a great artist stood in front of. I never thought of paintings like that before, think of all the great artists and minds that stood before the Mona Lisa. I want to paint waves and oceans now that I live in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor