Thursday, August 14, 2008

color of the day--burnt sienna

Burnt sienna is an iron oxide pigment: a warm mid brown color. Chemically, burnt sienna is formed by burning raw sienna (Terra di Sienna).


I use this color all the time. Many of my artist friends hate it but then again they also think Sargent is a great artist. Burnt sienna is a color that is always welcome on my palette while Sargent is not allowed onto my bookshelf. I use Burnt Umber when I do my underpaintings. Generally pigments that are made from iron oxides etc are cheaper and not as expensive as other colors. If you are a computer hack you don not need to bother buying paint at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor