Thursday, September 4, 2008

artist of the day---Masaccio


I am under a lot of deadlines so I have to get up at three AM and not my usual 5 AM. I went to the corner deli and the NY Post was not even there yet. Something I will discuss now about art history is the artist Masaccio. He was a lesser-known genius but very important in that he introduced the idea of one point perspective and even though he died young he had a profound effect on later artists. He also made breakthroughs in the way he painted the figure. I suppose he moved art forward from the stiffer, gothic, pre-renaissance style of painting and brought some life and fresh air into his figures. It is good to know that these great figures paved the way so the Metropolitan can have a shark in formaldehyde. Progress!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor