Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gardega on Political Correctness

For hose who care about art and freedom of expression there is a cloud on the horizon, nay it is not on the horizon but looming directly over head like a bad hangover! Orwell spoke of thought control and its origins lie in speech..control the speech and you can mold the thoughts. As I look at my bookshelf and the writers I admire I think of the books that would not be published today. I could take down all my Twain books and chuck those into the trash as well as half my Hemingway books. I could pretty much throw out a third of my books. Political correctness was sold to us as something nice, something warm and fuzzy, another step up the stairs towards some distant utopian monument. "Never offend" is the motto etched in the shining marble at the top. Even satire has been gutted and cleaned like a fish. I am waiting for a time machine to be built so I can go and sit in Lenny Bruce's final show.


Imagine a clean and squeaky future-world of neutered art and stories---would it have that new car smell?

2 comments:

  1. Neutered art = New car smell
    New car smell = BAD

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10001060-54.html

    ironic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a middle aged man recently working in public service. Wow, have I got a few stories to tell!! I'll be in the office Monday with union rep, in trouble again. Not for inappropriate or rude comments, that was never my style, regardless of the PC agenda, but rather for simply asking questions at the end of a seminar on workplace bullying. Apparently the facilitator was "offended" by my questions. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor