Thursday, January 8, 2009

Alex on Pop Art


I was never a big fan of pop art. The reason I was never a fan of it was that there was no technique. It was the visual equivalent of confectionary sugar, it tastes good but there are no nutrients for the soul. It looks good on modern white walls and the sterile environments of modern life. I would have more respect for pop art if there less appropriation (stealing of images from other sources.) I cannot knock Andy Warhol as he had his moments but I prefer the old musty masters and I am only at home in old museums. I like old parchments and yellowed paper.

I do however have moments when I dip my toe into pop art and that is when I am trying to express an idea that is best suited through pop art. Here is my latest work that uses pop art.
I was watching an old man on TV one night who lost all his money to Bernie Madoff, I got so mad I smashed my guitar (regretfully) and sat down and made this. It is not meant to be funny. I sat down and made this little piece of pop art. I call it "Bernie in Hell" and now I feel better. I decided since I was putting bernie madoff in hell (visually) then he woulod do nicely on a hot sauce bottle. Here is my art statement/ hot sauce. BERNIE IN HELL SAUCE. They are 10 dollars a piece, signed and numbered. The sauce is really hot habanero sauce (and really good) But I did not make this as a condiment, it is a piece of art you should treat like art.

When I am uber- famous you will be sorry you wasted this on your tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor