Sunday, May 3, 2009

Leonardo Learning----Photography

Most photographers I know are obsessed with equipment and lenses and lighting and the like. For them it is 85% technique/equipment--- 10% luck and 5% soul. I prefer natural lighting bleeding in from a window in a darkened room and a simple camera or cell phone. (this is from my cell phone.) Everything for them is exposure this and ratio of thirds that etc etc. It is all fish-soup without fish and one might as well take a photo of an empty bucket. They are so busy getting excited about new cameras and lenses they do not see the genius of a simple image waiting quietly in front of them. In art school kids would scream "look at that surface, it is painted just like glass!!!" he sands the canvas 50 times!!!" and more often than not the painting would have the same warmth of glass or the same audiorty warmth as an anonymous wall of digital sound, no reverb no warm tubes, no life. Flat and all the genius has been thoroughly and methodically sanitized away.

I am not anti-photography or anti- techie--- I am PRO-SOUL!!!


This is a photo I took yesterday with my cell phone...I call it Man With Raven...


Quote the Raven "VIVA GARDEGA, who has created a digital Vermeer without being Vermeer... Nevermore to Modernism and fish soup! "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor