Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ad hominem--word of the day

I had a discussion not too long ago with a friend it got to be a bit back and forth. I make it a point to have all my facts and figures as I have a brain that likes to store and remember facts and figures ( I still remember the entire Julius Ceaser speech--- friends, romans, ... that I learned in 1987.) I find that when you corner someone with facts and they have none themselves they often resort to personal attacks. I once pointed out the contradictions of Barrack obama to an ex and she called me a racist. I find these kind of attacks ludicrous and a sign of people who cannot back up arguments with facts or figures...If you present facts to a person and they resort to an emotional attack on your character etc. this type of argument is called argumentum ad hominem. or simply ad hominem. I dont do ad hominem arguments and I have learned to listen and not argue as it gets you nowhere. A sly smile and a " I can see you you feel very strongly about that" is this best way to diffuse an argument because it brings a person back to their experience and as a rule they will deny feeling strongly about it. (This diffuses the situation) I learned this from studying NLP. (neuro linguistic programming)

A facts a fact from Gnome to Rome...Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor