Thursday, November 19, 2009

How I paint my lost souls--by gardega

First thing is I put burnt umber and burnt sienna with a "special medium" on tine foil. I move it around and fold it and try to gets sufficiently random look. This idea was inspired by leonardo and his quote about throwing sponges against a wall to create inspiration for landscapes. The surrealists used similar methods for creating their ideas as well.
Next I mash it against my canvas to inspire images from my head.
Usually I need to thicken it up and work it out a bit from this stage.
Here is what it looks like when I am done with this part of the "tinfoil process."
Next I work out with my brushes what I feel is a stong visual.
when it starts to gel and the lost souls emerge I then begin to define them with faces and bodies. It is very touch and go--if you over define you lose the painting..

Here is a detail sample of the current piece...The trick is to let the paint work with you..you do not dictate to the painting, you work with it---- You flow with it.


I have developed over the years two mediums that interact with each other so it actually paints itself to some degree....I dont share my secret mediums.

will post final tonight..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor