Tuesday, January 12, 2010

cadmium, yummy cadmium


China is now sending us kids toys and jewelry with cadmium in them. Cadmium is very bad for you and it is also one of the ingredients in my favorite color oil paints. Cadmium red, cadmium green, cadmium etc. Cadmium is well known among painters I have many tubes of it in my studio. I remember reading the letters of van gogh and he spoke about his need to "key himself up with coffee and alcohol in order to get the right yellow. That was one of my favorite things he ever said. If you think of van gogh you think of a certain yellow blue combination. He had a great eye for color (and a good ear) I am willing to use dangerous paints if I get the right color life is too short to use fake paints. Cadmium "hue" paints are much cheaper and dont really contain cadmium (to the best of my knowledge) but they are like drinking near beer "whomever named near beer was a poor judge of distance" as they say...Lead paint used to be very popular and they say that could have messed up the art- minds of Goya and van gogh etc if it soaked into their skin. You know what will mess up an artist's mind more than anything? POVERTY. I dont care if my paints are radioactive, I am using the colors I like best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_pigments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor