Tuesday, June 15, 2010

alex facts

here are some alex facts:


I became obsessed with drawing at three years old.

I used to draw for 8 hours at a time as child.

I started painting at age 8 in acrylics


I had my first show at age nine and I was in the newspaper in texas. I then became a press junkie.

A famous sculptor traded me a bust for a painting at 9, I lost the bust.

I never owned a coloring book, nor a comic book.

At 8 I my mom would buy me these cool art books from piggly wiggly supermarket.

I became obsessed with Rembrandts painting of the doctors dissecting and arm and decided I was a painter.

Even as a child I hated modern art, I knew it was a scam. I liked classical art. nothings changed.

At 18 I started my own glass company making etched glass with no help and no money and no guidance. 

I dropped out of art school due to financial situation and then I sold a glass piece of art for 10,000 and paid my yearly rent.

I then later moved into nyc without a penny to the east village and said goodbye to my long island past.


I cant make art in long island, it sucks the art right out of my soul like a vacuum. There is a reason all long island musicians sound like 1984. It is where art goes to die.


I once worked foir julian schnabel for a day in his studio but I screwed a nail right through a canvas onto the floor. oops it was a million dollar painting.

In art school I told my friends that the computer was the future of illustration, they laughed at me. now they are computer artists.

my favorites draftsmen are raphael, michelangelo, daumier, degas (sometimes) and leonardo... 

in my life I have made 40 bookcovers, 10,000 glass pieces, thousands of paintings, thousands of drawings, I have done animation, cartoons, computer art (ugh) and pottery and sculpture. I have lived in 25 different places. I keep moving to be stable.

my first published work was a cartoon at 17 in balloon life magazine--I found it in the trash my dad had thrown away thinking it junk mail.

I have been in page 6 12 times and each one was for some unrelated crazy ADD idea I created.

People and things pop into my head before they die. I started painting paintings of kurt vonnegut out of nowhere and then he died. Before 911 I started painting flags everyday and I had no idea why, I had also applied for studio space in the wtc two weeks before....hope that i never start painting you.


the more things change, the more they stay the same.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor