Thursday, June 17, 2010

Leonardo learning: how to paint a bookcover.


First thing you want to do is use a base tone. I use burnt sienna as a transparent wash. Some people use grey. They arent smart. The base tone is painted on top of a white base--either gesso or acrylic--gesso is best. I usually trace out my drawing on the base tone but I am going to just paint, I am going to use the force, luke.

 okay. What have done here is started my sky. I am using ultramarine blue and as I go lower I am graduating it using brillaint blue--cerulean is better but I only have brilliant in acrylics. But that doesnt matter as I am glazing over in the end with oil paints. I am looking out the window at the hudson river and studying the clouds. I think these are strato cumulous. notice the clouds are darker underneath where the sun dont shine.


more happy clouds...
Okay..now we will add a mountain. I am using ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson (my favorite word there ever was) Remember to look at real mountains, they are never symmetrical--they have life. That is a happy little mountain.




Now I have added a second mountain. It is farther back than the first. To achieve this effect I added more white. It is best to mix three different shades ahead of time it makes life easier and makes sure you get lighter as you go back. The reason it gets "lighter" as you go back is because of atmosphere. ..



okay. I have finished the mountains and established what we call a "horizon line. it is very important to know your horizon line in a painting. Definition: The horizon line in perspective drawing is a horizontal line across the picture. It is always at eye level - its placement determines where we seem to be looking from - a high place, or from close to the ground. The actual horizon might not be visible, but you need to draw a 'virtual' horizon to construct a picture in perspective.

 I added some white to glaze my water on top of for the river. If you look at a river you will see lighter and darker parts due to either currents, clouds, shadows etc. Always think in terms of what is beneath your paint..it bleeds through and gives life.

As you get closer to the viewer or the picture plane, distant mountains become less blue and you will start to see the green of trees.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor