Friday, November 26, 2010

measured results

I decided recently that I wanted to gain ten pounds of muscle. I used to be in good shape but I let it go for a few years and I decided that it was time to address. I am usually a bit to thin because I am really active I never gain weight..Within ten days of buying a scale I was able to gain 10 pounds. I had never been able to gain weight before until I bought the scale and then it was very easy. This means (to me) that it is important to be able to measure results and have something to gauge to achieve a goal. Art is often hard to gauge because quality can be subjective but productivity is something you can measure and quantify. There is no better feeling than finishing a mural or installing a 80 square foot square window or delivering a portrait or shipping a painting. If you cant measure or gauge something then how does one progress at it? How do you know if you are getting better at drawing? This answer is easy--you should have a pile of a few thousand failed drawings under your bed....6000 failed paintings in your parents attic, 10,000 random art pieces scattered or broken in your past...if you just keep working then you will make progress in art. If you are lazy then progress will be slow. 


as Michelangelo scrawled to his assistant on the side of one of his drawings


" Draw, Antonio,  draw and don't waste more time"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor