Sunday, May 1, 2011

when Im bored

After I have been painting for about 18 hours I get into a weird state..almost like a trance. I stop feeling tired and go into some kind of auto pilot. I find in this state if I stop the work at hand and mess around a bit with my imagination I have a pretty good link directly to the subconcious. After so many hours of work your judgemental mind quiets down and you just create freely. Half the trick of art is to quiet the judgemental voices while you create and to just flow and then after you are finished you can judge your work. Leonardo spoke of throwing sponges against a wall and using that as a basis for creating phantastical landscapes. I like to take my messy palettes ( in this case a paper one and turn the paint into oddities, monsters etc. It is like a rosharsch inkblot test. Accindents in art are where genius lie. Dont overplan or over think everything, let the canvas speak back to you, dont dominate it. But also do not become an undisciplined slob, we have all seen the art that pure impulse without skill creates...I beleive the best time to create is late late late at night when everyone is asleep. The creative angels are less busy and more likely to help you.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor