Friday, June 17, 2011

School Of the art Institute of Chicago

In high school I was accepted to This college. My parents broke the news to me that they couldnt afford to send me, I didnt know enough about scholarships and financial aid so I got a job with a tree company cutting down trees while my friends went off to college I stayed home and built railroad tie walls in the snow and cut down trees. That was the toughest lesson of my life. Every day I worked cutting down trees I thought about art and the unfairness of life and I sharpened the axe of my soul and promised to myself I would make it as an artist in this world no matter what happened, even if it killed. When I finally was able to afford art school (in NYC) I already felt like an adult, I had started my own glass etching business and I had worked a job for a year that was hellish and brutal and almost killed me ( I had a tree fall on me so hard that I went blind for hours) When I got to art school, my peers felt like a bunch of soft spoiled kids. They had no stare, they hadnt lived and went right from high school on daddies dime to art school. I never hung out with groups in art school, I stayed alone and worked and worked. I didnt even have people to talk to because I liked the old masters beyond all and these kids were talking about science fiction art and modern art etc. Some lessons in life never leave you. To this day I work harder than most humans because those memories are close behind me. I often wonder what would have happened if If I was able to go to the School of art institute chicago..Hopefully I wouldnt have become one of these con-artists...In life you either man up and become something or you fold and become weak and make excuses for what you could have been, should have been. I have no sympathy for excuses.



I find it interesting how lessons that happened 20 years ago can still stick with you, when I spend six months on my couch trying to write a movie by the seat of my pants or when I buy a new canvas or I have more deadlines than a human can handle I think back to my feet freezing or lying on the ground blind with a serious head injury...I am still an insanely competitive artist, not with others but with myself. Most other artists to me mean as much to me as a loaf of bread in a supermarket in some rural new jersey supermarket..I dont think about them much...Im too busy working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PISSING PUG COMMENTS ON REDDIT

Mr. Gardega said his dog statue is poorly made on purpose. “I decided to build this dog and make it crappy to downgrade the statue, ...