Sunday, October 21, 2007

the chicken and the egg


I grew up on a farm in Texas and a farm has a way of teaching you at an early age about life and death. I vividly remember seeing a neighbors pig that was shot, hung from a chain and slaughtered. In addition I remember going on a solo journey to the back of the farm to see a chicken that had been killed . I guess a farm gives you a kind of Darwinian view on life (and death) I like animals a lot but would sooner become a human rights worker than an animal rights worker. Ever since childhood I have always held an artistic fascination with eggs and chickens . I have since had chickens at various times in my life and find exotic chickens to be amazing creatures. As I child I would gather the eggs from the chickens and found it magical that you could go to the chicken in the morning and find an egg or many eggs. In Renaissance art the egg symbolized resurrection. I am not sure about the symbolic meaning of the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor