Thursday, September 24, 2009

How to gesso a panel--by gardega

DONE!!!!! (15 coats)

I forgot to mention you also want to gesso the sides and back of panels---WHAT ONES DOES TO
FRONT ONE MUST DO TO THE BACK! DONT BE LAZY. I SPENT 5 HOURS GESSOING THESE TWO PANELS TODAY. THEY ARE PERFECT LITTLE GEMS, NO DUST, NO BUMPS, NO SMUDGES. When you have perfect panels you dont dare allow yourself to paint a crappy painting--that would be will be like driving a roll royce into the mud. Now is the exact moment when most artists freeze up in fear. What to paint, what to paint!!!! I too face this fear but I am bigger than my fear and I fight on through the dark woods of "blank panels..."
Second coat! Let dry, sand, wipe repeat! Do ten coats!!! Yes ten! Dont be lazy!!
Wipe down between dandings with moist rag!! Keep it clean!
I sand so fast it looks blurry! sand carefully and slow and dont worry if you see some of the board on first coat.
You want to use very fine sandpaper!! Very fine!! I start with a 400, then 600, then 1500 on last coat!!

After they are coated you must wait for them to dry..They should dry quick unless you put on too thick!!! it should be thin coats!
Coat from left to right (unless you are from japan then it is right to left)
Here is the sponge brush I use and I suggest you do as well.
Mix with water in a small bucket or container until you have a milk like consistency. It must be a tiny bit thicker than milk and thicker than skim milk. Mix it well!
Be sure to use a professional grade gesso-NO STUDENT GRADE..You are not a student--think professional.
Before you start you want to wipe your panels down with a damp cloth. This gets rid of finger print oils etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor