Thursday, October 21, 2010

leonardo learning: life drawing



After working for 8 hours on my saint windows yesterday, I went life drawing. I didnt want to go life drawing I was tired and wanted to go home but if you dont go the extra mile as an artist you may as well strap on an apron and start flipping burgers. For the first time in my life I tried to draw the figure with a brush and using washes--I decided to do this after looking at some of Rembrandt studies, he used a lot of ink and brush in his composition studies. I think I will use this method for now on, even though this page is a mess and I am rusty as hell I made a breakthrough. I learned that when you have a model doing quick poses--2 to 5 minutes etc it is really handy to be able to throw in a wash to get a sense of form and mass. With a pencil there would be no time for this. I am sold on the brush as a tool for drawing figure, it only took me 20 years to figure this out. The thing about being an artist is you must be willing to fail big and in public. I never had a dimes worth of fear about failure because it is what moves you ahead if you dont quit and learn from failure. I know artist's of all stripes who never broke out of the fear mode, they wont play music in front of people they wont paint in public they wont do this they wont do that..get off your butt and rock and roll, life is short and one day you will have to wear an adult diaper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor