Friday, December 31, 2010

The truck stop of wisdom: 2010

Perhaps my youthful excesses did indeed lead me to (as william blake said)  the palace of wisdom (or at least "the truck stop of wisdom.")  I was a bit of a wild man in my early days, long hair, bar fights, leather pants and lots and lots o' whiskey. I have grown up and I think a lot of it was folly (which is wisely wasted on the youth) but there was also a lot to be gained from walking on a strange edge for a time. I have some damn good stories and and more memories than carl sagan had stars. I lived to tell my tale and I pity those who walked a life that was handed to them or those stepped into the shoes your daddy made for you. I hit the road at 17 and never looked back. The worst that happened was I had my head handed to me a couple of times but each time I screwed back on (Mostly frontways too) I avoided a million ticking glue traps that have ensnared many I have known--false paths, false loves, self delusion---Ignore the better part of yourself or your nature and you will die a poor and lonely man regardless if you own a castle. True dedication to an art is a lonely thing but Im never really lonely as my brain keeps me company and my paintings are my children. I have learned a few simple lessons in life and one is this--If you have your health you have everything. If you have enough money to cover yourself and your bills and take a vacation sometimes you are in good shape and if you live a lie, you will learn to regret it. The truck stop of wisdom is a clean, well- lighted place and there arent many people there. When I talk to most people in life I grow bored and my eyes glaze over and I smile but I look for the exit. I am interested in people who have some good stories to tell, who have lives that they really lived, who have walked around a bit...but thats just me. Tonight I will be in my favorite place (NYC) watching the year die from some fashion house on 56th street. One of my paintings is being auctioned to the red cross so that is some good karma to pocket away for 2011. I will be alone-- as is my habit, thinking and studying and drawing things in my brain. I am pretty much a lone wolf but It suits me for now and I had a damn good 2010. (and I am healthy---knock on monitor)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor