Monday, April 11, 2011

The better angels of our nature

I have been thinking a lot about the civil war lately. I watched a documentary on it and It stuck with me. I cant imagine the horror of those battles..seas of dead and wounded people. Horrible to imagine what it was like. I found a picture in yesterdays NY POST of Lincoln with some soldiers so I woke up this morning at 5:30 and drew the thing out. There are two kinds of artists (and humans for that matter) those who kick around ideas and those who follow through on their ideas. It is much better as an artist to be the person who acts on your ideas..Just do it. Not the greatest drawing, I just wanted to make a note of the image and have it. I drew it 5 foot high as I am really getting into larger imagery these days, dont be afraid of scale...Dont be afraid to make some large pieces of art.. There is a freedom in large works...I chose the title from a great quote of Lincolns...Its better to make a drawing that needs some love and work than to make no drawing..If you dont draw or paint EVERY DAY you arent an artist. I am not sure what you are but you arent an artist. You are perhaps an ARTEEST, with a beret and smoking in some cheap cafe. 

3 foot by 5 foot...charcoal on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor